Defending positions have four main categories and center back is one of them. Center Back is a player position in the soccer game. This position requires a huge variety of different skills and qualities.
Along with this, the player should have a high game understanding level for maintaining this position. Center back in soccer is one of the most important positions on the field is mostly handled by natural leaders and good communicators.
Normally all the players on the field are responsible for defending. Center-back can slightly differ from the normal defense, as center-back players also aid in organization of players in front of them. Players at this position are responsible to help the whole team in keeping a clean sheet and also not to let the opponents score goals.
The following article has been specialized for you. It has an in depth on the center back roles and responsibilities. Besides this, we have tried to cover information about the skills needed to play this position. We also talked about the strategies that players adapt for playing efficiently as a center-back in soccer when both attacking and defending.
Role and Importance:
Center back in soccer is usually the central defender position in a soccer game. The player has to cover the goalkeeper while protecting the center of the field and keep the ball as far away from the goal as possible. It is the most defensive position on the field. Center-back players play a key role in helping their team to keep the possession of the ball. So, this makes the center back players really competent both when they are on the ball and off the ball.
Center Backs in a Soccer Team:
Mostly a soccer team has two players assigned to the center back position along with two outside backs. It is known as playing with a back four. When this happens, the main center back player’s position numbers are 4 and 5. There are three common soccer formations the 4-3-3 formation, the 4-4-2 formation, and the 4-2-3-1 soccer formations.
A team can sometimes use three centre backs or ‘A back 3’. For example, if 3 defenders are arranged then the formation will be 3-5-2 and the 3-4-3. When this happens, central defenders are usually numbered or referred to as the 4, 5, and 6.
Playing As A Center Back In Soccer:
Skills Required for this Position:
A player that is good at the center back position will find himself comfortable with the ball. They will adopt a lot of strategies for tackling and getting the ball back. It is very important for the player to have a wide range of skills and abilities. Following are some skills that are needed for an efficient centre back result:
- The players should have good heading ability. This means that the central defender should be confident enough to take the ball in the air and challenge the opponents.
- All sports need their players to have high speed, quick responses, athleticism, and physical strength. Same is required for the center back.
- Understanding the game well. A player who is efficient at the center-back position should have the capability of reading the game and calculating where the ball will be. They should have logical thinking that will help to predict the passes and moves that opponents will make.
- The player should have effective communication and organization skills.
- The player at center back should be strong at the 1v1 situation. Players at this position should make timely tackles and win the ball.
- They should stay comfortable upon receiving the ball under pressure and making passes over short and long distances.
- Players at the center back position should have the skill of being calm in pressuring situations. Along with this they should have a high level of focus.
An efficient center back involves both attacking and defending. It is important to focus on both when the team has to build out from the back and play through the thirds. When the player is in attacking position or has the possession of the ball, a center back should do the following:
- Provide a forward pass option when the goalkeeper has the ball. The player at the center back should be ready to receive ‘side on’. Plus they should have their hips open because this will help them to continue to move the ball forward and help their team progress.
- Center backs should give a good drop for the full backs and number 6. Especially when these players are under pressure and cannot find a forward pass themselves.
- Upon receiving the ball, center backs should look to play forward passes into the midfield and forward line.
- When they receive the ball they should look for smooth opportunities that will help them to play through balls behind and over the opponent’s defense.
- Upon receiving the ball and given time and space, center backs in soccer should look to carry the ball forward into the midfield and forward areas.
- Go forward for their team’s corners to be a goal-threat in the opposition’s penalty box.
- Center backs should be prepared for the loss of ball possession. Ensure the team is prepared and ready for a loss of possession.
During defending position, center backs have the responsibility of stopping the opposing players from getting behind them and creating scoring opportunities. To make this happen center back players have to defend both themselves and the team. Plus they also have to organize other players on their team. An efficient center back in soccer should do the following when he is not defending, or not in possession of the ball:
- He should get the possession after the aerial challenges. Especially when it happens due to long goal kicks or punts from the opposition goalkeeper.
- Control the last line of defense, so they are organized, compact and difficult to get behind.
- Have a prediction through balls, by dropping deep and have possession of the ball before the opponents forwards or
- Somehow play by the opponents and attackers off-side by ‘holding the line’ and letting the attackers make pre-emptive runs behind them.
- Intercept attempted passes behind the defense.
- Challenge the opponents with timely tackles. In return winning the ball whenever an attacker tries to dribble past them.
- Attack crosses when the ball is in the penalty box. Making sure that the opponents do not get the ball first.
- Block shots and put extreme pressure on opponents when they are trying to shoot.
Best Center Back Players Of All Time:
Virgil Van Dyke
He is the current captain of Liverpool and the Netherlands. Virgil Van Dyke is known to be the strongest and fastest center-back player currently playing the game. He has a great physical presence and athleticism. Along with this Virgil Van Dyke tends to be a great reader of the game and defensive organizer who improves the level of everyone he plays with.
He is the former Real Madrid Captain, well known for being as comfortable with the ball at his feet as he is throwing tackles in, defending, and putting his body on the line for his team. He is the best center back player who has the right level of aggressiveness combined with a never losing attitude. Ramos is really comfortable with the ball, he brings it out of the back and keeps it in possession. Besides, he throws extremely quick counter-attacks.
Paulo Maldini is the Italy legend who won every trophy that can be imagined. He is said to be the best defender of all time because of his quick and timely tackles and great victory in 1v1 battles.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Center back is not a hard position if you have the right capabilities. Like a decent height can give you an advantage of winning headers and dealing with crosses into the penalty box. The players assigned at center-back positions should be physically strong, fast and good thinkers.
If you need to be a good and efficient central defender, you need to be smart and fast with the ball. You should know how to be great at passing and reading the game.
Being a goalkeeper is the hardest in soccer. He has to perform greatly under severe pressure and should have a unique skill set, as well as facing a higher level of competition than any other player.
A center back player has some responsibilities, that include blocking shots, making tackles, interceptions and clearances, and competing for the ball aerially and on the ground.
Final Words on Center Back in Soccer
At the wrap up of the article, we would say that the Center Back Players are the most important and crucial part of the soccer game. The players at this position should have great mental and physical strength. It is all about fast, logical and quick actions and thinking. It is really important for the team and can lead to winning.
We hope that you found all the necessary information about the center back position.
Read More From Socceriate